Chocolatey deliciousness made the super healthy way, no added sugar, dairy free, can be easily made vegan (swap the eggs to chia eggs) and gluten-free by replacing oats to gluten-free, with a layer of tasty chia blueberry jam, takes these brownies to a whole new level. Our foodie friend Shilpa of Soulful and Healthy strikes again with these mouth-watering brownies!!!
- 60g ground almond
- 100g oats flour
- 70g pecans or walnuts
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 40g organic cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp whole white chia seeds
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- pinch of Himalayan pink salt
- 60 ml organic coconut oil melted
- 80 ml unsweetened almond milk or milk of choice
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
200g of good quality dark chocolate (swap vegan and dairy free chocolate chips)
Whole white chia seeds for sprinkling
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius and line a 9×9 inch square brownie pan with parchment paper.
- Blitz the nuts in a food processor or a pestle and motor into small pieces.
- Make the oats flour by blitzing the oats in a food processor.
- Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Add the wet ingredients to another bowl, mix well.
- Then gently fold the mixture together.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25 to 30 mins, until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- While the brownies are baking, make the chia jam! *Find the recipe below*
- Once the brownies are done let them cool completely on a wire rack.
- Use a double boiler method and melt the chocolate pieces or melt in the microwave.
- Once fully cooled down very carefully slit the brownie into half horizontally, (like you would a cake for icing) set the top half aside.
- Apply a generous amount of the wild blueberries chia jam in between.
- Place the other half on top, trim the edges so they are even.
- Cut the brownies into long bars instead of squares.
- Carefully pour the melted dark chocolate on each bar using a spoon.
- Drizzle white chia seeds on top of each bar.
Blueberry Chia Jam
- 120g frozen wild blueberries
- 2-3 tbsp of honey or maple syrup
- 2-3 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp whole white/black chia seeds
- Add the frozen wild blueberries into a saucepan and bring to boil on medium heat for about 8 to 10 min stirring in between, the berries leave out all the juices.
- After the juices have reduced a little, mash well using a fork.
- Add the honey/ maple syrup and the lemon juice.
- Taste the jam and depending on how sweet you would want, add more sweetener and lemon juice if needed.
- Simmer for two mins on low heat.
- Add the whole chia seeds and remove from the heat and let it cool.