Baking With Chia
Chia seeds have a fantastic unique property that allows them to be used in baking. Unlike other similar seeds such as flax, you can bake with chia seeds up to 180°C without affecting the nutrients. This means that baking with chia seeds is easy, simply add the seeds to all your favourite baked goods recipes and bake as normal to enjoy delicious breads, cookies, pastries and cakes with added nutrition.
Chia bia Flapjacks:
160g Porridge oats
100g dried mixed fruit (raisins, cranberries, sultanas, etc.)
30g pumpkin seeds
20g sunflower seeds
30g Desiccated coconut
4 tbsp Chia bia Whole Seeds
60g Brown Sugar
3 Tbsp Golden Syrup
1.Line and grease a 30×20 cm baking tin
2. Melt the butter, sugar, golden syrup and salt in a saucepan.
3. Meanwhile, mix together all the dry ingredients.
4. Add the dry ingredients to the syrup and press the mixture into the tin using the back of a spoon.
5. Bake in an oven preheated to 180°C for 20 mins.
6. Allow flapjacks to cool before cutting into bars and storing in the fridge.
Chia bia Oat Cookies:
130g light brown sugar
1 medium egg
2.5 ml vanilla essence
75g self raising flour
1/2tsp ground cinnamon
A pinch of salt
110g rolled oats
2 tbsp Chia bia Whole Seeds
1. Preheat oven to 190°C/Gas Mark 5
2. In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until smooth before beating in the egg and vanilla essence until fluffy.
3. Fold together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt and gradually beat into the mixture.
4. Finally, stir in the oats, sultanas and Chia bia Whole Seeds.
5. Using a teaspoon, drop the mixture onto un-greased cookie sheets.
6.Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven, or until golden brown. Wait 5 minutes before removing from sheet to wire rack.
7. Cool completely to allow the cookies to get crunchy.